Why do we need a big and fast memory card for our dash cam?
Dash cams have found a place in the consumer’s daily life as a handy means of documenting those beautiful or worst moments behind the steering wheels that act as full-proof video evidence and become an integral part of their journey. All dash cams typically require a memory card, mostly SD (Secure Digital) or microSD card to store recorded footage. Without a memory card, the camera would not have any place to save the recordings, making the device essentially useless. Virtually all dash cams use SD (Secure Digital) cards, but most are gravitating toward microSD cards. Even if your dash-cam only takes SD cards, an SD adapter allows the use of microSD.
A SD (Secure Digital) card is a small, portable storage device that is often used in devices such as cameras, dash cams, smartphones, and tablets to store data such as photos, videos, and music. They are useful because they provide a way to easily transfer data between devices and store data when the device's internal storage is full. Additionally, they can be removed and replaced with a larger card or stored separately as a backup.
A microSD is a miniature version of SD cards that used in smaller electronic devices, though with an adapter the microSD card can be used in any SD card slots.
SD cards for dash cams are specially designed to withstand the high temperature and vibration in a car, and to handle the constant recording and overwriting of footage that occurs in a dash cam.
A dash cam continuously records video footage while the car is in use, and therefore requires a large and fast SD card to store the recorded footage. A larger SD card allows for more footage to be stored before needing to be overwritten, and a faster SD card ensures that the dash cam can quickly save footage without interruption or delay. Additionally, a fast SD card also ensures that the dash cam can record high-resolution and high-frame-rate footage without any lag.
Additionally, they also have a high write speed, which is important for recording high-definition video and ensuring that the footage is saved quickly and without interruption.
Having an SD card also allows for the ease of removing the card and viewing the footage on a computer, or backing up the footage in case of an accident, which is one of the main reasons why dash cams are used.
Rove is a well-renowned brand in producing high-quality dash cam and car accessories. The "Ultimate" SD card is likely one of their top-of-the-line products, with features such as high storage capacity, high write speed, and durability to withstand the high temperatures and vibration in a car.
It's likely that this SD card has been tested and optimized for dash cam usage, and may have additional features such as loop recording, error correction, and data recovery.
It's also worth noting that, Rove provides a 1 year warranty for all their SD cards, and they are also rated for extreme temperatures, shock, and vibration, making them a reliable choice for dash cams and other devices that require an SD card.
1. ROVE Ultimate microSDXC Card supports up to 170MB/s read speed and up to 100MB/s write speed for data transfer. (Based on the internal test environment of Rove, the actual speed may vary with different host devices and environments.
2. ROVE Ultimate microSDXC card supports speed Class 10, and helps you quickly capture, playback, and transfer multimedia files, including 1080p Full-HD, 4K video. It leverages (UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)) for high-speed performance & coming up with an adapter with USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type C technology.
3. ROVE Ultimate microSDXC Card supports up to 12 hours 4K videos & is compatible fully with all Rove Dash Cam models (R2-4K & R3). (1GB=1,000,000,000 bytes.) (Due to different capacity algorithms and partial capacity being used for system files, management, and performance optimization, so the actual available capacity may be less than the identifying capacity.)
4. ROVE Ultimate microSDXC card supports water resistance, wear-out proof, shockproof, extreme temperature resistance [ranging from -25° ~ 85° C], X-ray radiation proof, magnetic field resistant & Strong and Durable!
5. ROVE Ultimate microSDXC extends its compatibility with a variety of devices that gives you the freedom to choose it from any other microSDXC card in the market. It's compatible with phones, dash cams, action cams, body cams, DSLRs, game consoles, drones, and in surveillance cameras.
6. ROVE Ultimate microSDXC card comes in 3 different sizes 64 GB, 128 GB, and 512 GB. A customer can choose any one among these three cards as per their requirements. ROVE microSD card comes with a USB 3.2 Gen-1, Type-C card reader, and 1-year limited warranty on both the microSD card and adapter.